VA Cooperative Studies Program (CSP)
Cooperative Studies Program Epidemiology Centers (CSPECs)
We design and conduct state-of-the-art population research on health and disease to enhance our understanding of their determinants, treatments, and outcomes in order to improve the health, well-being, and care of Veterans and all Americans.
CSP Epidemiology Centers (CSPECs) provide scientific expertise, human capital, data, and research infrastructure to conduct epidemiologic research on Veterans’ health and their disease burden for the Department of Veterans Affairs and the nation. We're centrally directed to respond to VA and congressional requests on Veteran health. In our work we:
- design and conduct large-scale observational epidemiologic studies
- create and maintain data resources to support VA research
Our studies address genetic, molecular, and environmental risk factors for Veterans as a group, specific populations, certain diseases and disorders, or within a focused topic area.
We curate, enhance, and facilitate sharing of study data, registries, and repositories which in turn maximizes the impact of Federal money invested into research. Examples include:
- Integrated Veteran Epidemiologic Study Data Resource (INVESTD-R) provides a means for qualified researchers to access epidemiologic research data, biospecimens, and participant contact information from Veterans for use in secondary data analysis or new data collection. All resources come from experimental, observational, and clinical trial studies conducted by CSP.
- CSP Epidemiology Analytics Resource (CSPEAR) extracts, analyzes, and summarizes large amounts of VA data about Veteran health status into brief, scientifically reliable reports. These reports allow VA leadership to make informed decisions about research priorities, health care needs, and how to best plan interventions.
In addition, we've developed a data curating resource that compiles CSP study data with VA Corporate Data Warehouse resources and non-VA administrative data (including Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, National Death Index, Surveillance, Epidemiology, and End Results Program) into a usable format.
The CSPEC Quality Statement describes our commitment to maintaining the highest standard of quality with regard to participant safety, scientific output as it relates specifically to data quality, and general efficiency of the program.
Massachusetts Veterans Epidemiology Research and Information Center (MAVERIC) - Boston, MA
Cooperative Studies Program Epidemiology Center - Durham (CSPEC-Durham) - Durham, NC
Pharmacogenomics Analysis Laboratory (PAL) - Little Rock, AR
Palo Alto Epidemiology Research and Information Center (ERIC) for Genomics - Palo Alto, CA
Seattle Epidemiologic Research and Information Center (ERIC) - Seattle, WA
Clinical Epidemiology Research Center (CERC) - West Haven, CT
- CSP #380: Prospective Evaluation of Risk Factors for Large Colonic Adenomas in Asymptomatic Subjects (Durham)
- CSP #380-B: Examining Molecular Signaling Pathways in the Progression from Colorectal Adenomas to Cancer from Longitudinal Screening Study (Durham)
- CSP #500-A: National Registry of Veterans with Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (Durham)
- CSP #500-B: Genetic Epidemiology of ALS in Veterans (GENEVA) (Durham)
- CSP #505: Millennium Cohort Study (Seattle)
- CSP #566: Neuropsychological and Mental Health Outcomes of Operation Iraqi Freedom: A Longitudinal Cohort Study (West Haven)
- CSP #569: Veteran Health Study (also known as a Twin Study of the Course & Consequences of PTSD in Vietnam Era Veterans) (Seattle)
- CSP #572: Genetics of Functional Disability in Schizophrenia and Bipolar Illness (West Haven)
- CSP #575-B: Genomics of Posttraumatic Stress Disorder in Veterans (West Haven)
- CSP #595: Pulmonary Health and Deployment to Southwest Asia & Afghanistan (Seattle)
- CSP #710: VA Normative Aging Study (NAS) (Boston)
- CSP #G-002: Million Veteran Program (MVP) (Boston/West Haven)
- CSP #2006: Genomics of Gulf War Illness in Veterans (West Haven)
Registries and repositories
- CSP #256: Vietnam-Era Twin (VET) Registry and Data & Biospecimen Repositories (Seattle)
- CSP #488: Prevalence of HCV among Veterans (Veteran Serum & Plasma Repository) (Seattle)
- CSP #501: VA Biorepository Trust (Boston)
- CSP #501-B: VA Gulf War Veterans’ Illnesses Biorepository (GWVI) (Boston)
- CSP #585: Gulf War Era Cohort and Biorepository (Pilot study) (Durham)
- CSP #2007: National Vietnam Veterans Longitudinal Study (NVVLS) Registry and Data Repository (Seattle)
- Integrated Veteran Epidemiologic Study Data Resource (INVESTD-R)